WebDAV: download of files with Umlauts or special characters in name fails with "405 Method Not Allowed"

I am running Nuxeo 8.10 in a Docker container and use Transmit to connect to it via WebDAV. My host system is Mac OS X.

Previously I had uploaded all my local files to Nuxeo via WebDAV, no problem.

Now I want to download them all back to my local system from Nuxeo.

This works for files with common file names but fails for all files that have special characters or German Umlauts (ä,ö,ü, etc.) in it, even though uploading them to Nuxeo worked fine and the characters are also allowed on Mac OS X file system.

This is an excerpt of the files that failed to download:

type an image title


What's also interesting - these files with special characters get indexed in Nuxeo/ElasticSearch just fine, but the link to open the detail view from the search results page fails.

type an image title

(click the file links at the bottom of this post to enlarge)

type an image title

(click the file links at the bottom of this post to enlarge)

In my Docker container, the url is:

http://192.168.178.33/nuxeo/nxpath/default/default-domain/workspaces/Conradt/Suppliers/Astrill/Invoices/Astrill%20VPN%20%C2%BB%20Tax%20Invoic@view_documents?tabIds=MAIN_TABS%3Adocuments%2C%3A&conversationId=0NXMAIN2

I exported the document and attached the file to this post (document.xml). When looking at the xml, you see the following information:

<path>default-domain/workspaces/Conradt/Suppliers/Astrill/Invoices/Astrill VPN » Tax Invoic</path>
[...]
<file:filename><![CDATA[Astrill VPN » Tax Invoice #1130455.pdf]]></file:filename>
[...]
<filename>Astrill VPN » Tax Invoice #1130455.pdf</filename>

I found that opening the details view only fails from the search result or the JSF explorer content / browse section. It does work though when opening the details directly from the search's autocompletion list:

type an image title

I noticed that the URL that point to the document details page differs between the Search autocompletion list and the JSF explorer browser. One is using the path, the other is using the node id.

URL in the search's autocompletion list (working fine): http://192.168.178.33/nuxeo/nxdoc/default/5aa9ba43-16ab-4aa2-a45d-9412f0d92b53/view_documents?conversationId=0NXMAIN1

URL in the JSF explorer/browser (not working): http://192.168.178.33/nuxeo/nxpath/default/default-domain/workspaces/Conradt/Suppliers/Astrill/Invoices/Astrill%20VPN%20%C2%BB%20Tax%20Invoic@view_documents?tabIds=MAIN_TABS%3Adocuments%2C%3A&conversationId=0NXMAIN1


The same happens for the new web UI as well.

type an image title

(click the file links at the bottom of this post to enlarge)


Additional observation in todays test:

Uploading files from local Mac OS X to Nuxeo (8.10 running in Docker container) via Transmit WebDAV client:

The Umlauts in the file names get changed.

type an image title


If I want to delete the files from Nuxeo again via WebDAV client, it fails:

type an image title


Deleting via JSF web client works fine:

type an image title


Another test: I created a file with Umlauts in JSF web ui (Umlauts remain correct), then try to download it via WebDAV client. Getting 405 error as reported in my original posting above.

type an image title


btw: Meanwhile I switched from using WebDAV to Nuxeo Drive, this works without problems regarding Umlauts and special characters.

0 votes

0 answers

135 views

ANSWER

Please note that Nuxeo 8.1 is obsolete and unsupported, even for this site. You'd do yourself a service by upgrading to 8.10.
01/31/2017

Sure, I will do that. (I didn't pay much attention when using the official Docker image, thought it would be pretty up to date.)
01/31/2017

Florent Guillaume I switched to 8.10, but the problem remains (I think I was actually always on 8.10, just misread the version accidentially yesterday). I updated the post above accordingly regarding the used version.
01/31/2017

Ok thanks for the detailed report we'll check what happens with character encoding from WebDAV. It's possible that there are different interpretations of character encoding depending on the clients. The Finder of macOS is also known for having weird internal encodings of accented characters using unicode combining accents.
01/31/2017

Florent Guillaume I removed the answer and updated the original post, sorry about that. Regarding the WebDAV clients: I think it's a repository issue. I tested Nuxeo with the NetDrive WebDAV client (http://www.netdrive.net/) on Windows and the same problem occurs. I then tried to use the the Transmit WebDAV client (https://panic.com/transmit/) on Mac OS X (the one that fails for Nuxeo) but to connect to a standalone Jackrabbit Oak (https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/) repository that I have, there the Umlauts or special characters are no problem (uploading and downloading), therefore I think it's not an issue of the WebDAV client. I also tested with the Transmit client and an Alfresco (https://www.alfresco.com/) repository, also no problems there.
01/31/2017