Need a clarification on DAM
I am new to DAM system. I have a very general basic question about DAM. Lets assume I have RDBMS, huge storage space for my content. Lets say I have 3 developers for developing a solution for working on my media content and storing its metadata and location data in the RDBMS. Can I ask what is the other extra value that DAM can provide for people like me.
This is the explaination I am suppose to provide to my company for DAM acceptance. Will someone answer my question.
Warm regards, Shravan
DAM and in general document management is more than just file+metadata. A few things that comes with a full content management system :
- Versionning : One document can have several versions, you need to be able to store them and find them
- Data Structure : One document (or media) is more than a file, you can have several files attached to it (like full res and thumbnail for pic for instance)
- Permission and security (who can access what)
- Business logic (metada inheritance for instance, expiration date…)
- And nice interface to show you all that and also web services to call the same thing from external systems
A few more ints here: http://www.nuxeo.com/en/products/digital-asset-management